Iyeiri, Yoko and Mariko Fukunaga. 2023. “A Corpus-based Analysis of Negation in Selected 19th-century American Missionary Documents in Honolulu”, in Language and Linguistics in a Complex World, ed. Beatrix Busse, Nina Dumrukcic, and Ingo Kleiber, pp. 133-151. Berlin: De Gruyter.
Language and Linguistics in Complex World is an open-access book, whose chapters are downloadable from the publisher’s site.
Negation in 19th-century American English
This is the first publication of our Hawaii project. The paper discusses the negative constructions in the Hawaii Corpus. While the overall tendency does not deviate much from the negative constructions in Present-day English, the behaviour of the lexical have in this dataset is interesting. Do-less negation is retained to a larger extent than expected from American English. Also, the paper discusses stylistic differences due to different authors included in the corpus.
- Yoko Iyeiri. 2001. Negative Constructions in Middle English. Fukuoka: Kyushu University Press.
- Iyeiri, Yoko. 2004. “The Use of the Auxiliary Do in Negation in Tom Jones and Some Other Literary Works of the Contemporary Period”, in New Trends in English Historical Linguistics: An Atlantic View, ed. Isabel Moskowich-Spiegel Fandiño & Begoña Crespo García, pp. 223-40. Coruña: Universidade da Coruña.
- Iyeiri, Yoko, Michiko Yaguchi & Yasumasa Baba. 2015. “Negation and Speech Style in Professional American English”. Memoirs of the Faculty of Letters, Kyoto University 54: 181-204.
- Iyeiri, Yoko. 2018. “Negation in Benjamin Franklin’s Writings: A Stylistic Analysis of his Autobiography and Letters”, in Proceedings of the 4th Asia Pacific Corpus Linguistics Conference (APCLC 2018), Takamatsu, Japan, September 17-19, ed. Yukio Tono and Hitoshi Ishihara, pp. 178-183. (Downloadable PDF)
- Iyeiri, Yoko. 2018. “Jespersen’s Cycle and the Expansion of Periphrastic do in English”. Memoirs of the Faculty of Letters, Kyoto University 57: 99-133.