MMECL 2011, Osaka
MMECL: Middle and Modern English Corpus Linguistics at Innsbruck in 2009 was intended as a one-time conference, but it continued. We had the second MMECL: Middle and Modern English Corpus Linguistics in Osaka in 2011. This is one of the two volumes of the proceedings of MMECL 2, both published in the series of Studies in the History of the English Language (The Japanese Association for Studies in the History of the English Language).
Introduction (Yoko Iyeiri & Jennifer Smith)
How to Study Changes in Medical Discourse 1375-1800: Corpus Compilation and Corpus Linguistic Studies (Irma Taavitsainen)
The Shift from Alway to Always in the History of English (Yoko Iyeiri)
Closing the Gap – The Development of Verb-particle Combinations in English between 1810 and 1960: New Evidence from the COHA and TIME Corpora (Stefan Diemer)
The Historical Development of No Doubt as a Modal Adverb (Daisuke Suzuki)
At the End of the Day: Detecting Semantic Shift of a Multi-word Adverbial in Corpora (Mitsumi Uchida)
Some Notes on Idiomatic Expressions in the History of English: With Special Reference to ‘meat and drink’ (Akiyuki Jimura)
From Less Irreverence to Less Reverence: Semantic and Pragmatic Change in the Adjective Holy in American English (John G. Newman & Sylwester Łodej)
List of the publications in the same series
- Japanese Association for Studies in the History of the English Language (ed.) 2010. Studies in the History of the English Language, 2006-2009. Suita: Osaka Books.
- Tani, Akinobu & Hisao Osaki (eds.) 2013. Fifteenth-Century English: From Grammar to Text. Suita: Osaka Books.
- Nakao, Yoshiyuki & Yoko Iyeiri (eds.) 2013. Chaucer’s Language: Cognitive Perspectives. Suita: Osaka Books.
- Iyeiri, Yoko & Jennifer Smith (eds.) 2014. Studies in Middle and Modern English: Historical Change. Suita: Osaka Books.
- Iyeiri, Yoko (ed.) 2016. Can Knowing the History of English Help in the Teaching of English? Suita: Osaka Books.
- Tani, Akinobu & Jennifer Smith (eds.) 2017. Studies in Middle and Modern English: Historical Variation. Tokyo: Kaitakusha.
- Uchida, Mitsumi, Yoko Iyeiri & Lawrence Schourup (eds.) 2017. Language Contact and Variation in the History of English. Tokyo: Kaitakusha.
- Hori, Masahiro, Yuko Ikeda & Keisuke Koguchi (eds.) 2018. A Chronological and Comparative Study of Body Language. Tokyo: Kaitakusha.